Saturday, May 05, 2007

Arbeitserziehungslager, Wuhlheide, Germany

Not much can be found about this lager, created during WWII in Berlin. I went and looked for it because my grandfather was kept there as a prisoner, for two years.
In literal translation Arbeitserziehungslager stands for "workers educational camp." They are better known with the name "concentration camps for forced laborers". That is what Wuhlheide used to be. My grandfather used to tell me that he was forced to work at building the railway network in the outskirts of Berlin.
No or little food was provided and more than once he saw people fighting over a potato skin.
They used to boil their clothes once a week to get rid of bugs, and were provided no medical assistance whatsoever. Estimates say that 3,000 people lost their lives in Wuhlheide; luckily enough, my granfather was not one of those.
He had the chance to come home and tell us about the camp and show us pictures and the cards he used to send home asking to send food: there was a continuous lack of food in the camp that costed many people their life. Work was heavy and days long: 12 hours of work daily, 7 days per week. A typical day looked like this: getting up at 4:30; parade at 5:00; off to work at 5:30; work from 6 to 6. Conditions were so horrendous that one former prisoner later wrote: "When in Kiel I saw that three comrades were being hanged, I thought 'I wished I were hanging there.' During that time I often yearned to be dead."
Many Europeans were kept prisoners there, included some Germans, with the objective of "being re-educated to work".
I did not find much of the camp when I went to Germany; better like this. The only thing which is left, is a piece of stone: "Hier befand sich das lager Wuhlheide ...".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucio and a group of friends from san zorz went to Krakow/Aushwitz last weekend ... to remember the past

Anonymous said...

My father was in Wuhlheide: he was considered not a war prisoner because Italy was,in a first time allied with Germany. So the Red Cross couldn't help Italian prisoners...They were treated as animals...but my father forgave what they did to him...